Fund Raising Tips for Individual Golfers
Each individual golfer must raise $270 ($5 per hole) to play in the Marathon. Some golfers raise the entire amount, while others raise one-half or more (and contribute the balance themselves).
Raising money for a Marathon is very common, and can be fun! Here are some ideas to help you ask friends, neighbors, family, co-workers and others to participate. Remember, these donations from non-players are fully tax deductible if you will give us their names and addresses (and the amount they donate).
1. We suggest you first register for the Marathon and pay your $270. This guarantees you a place in the Golf Marathon. It would be embarrassing to raise the money, and then not get in.
2. Get an envelope in which to keep donations. List the names and addresses of your donors on the outside of the envelope. Our experience is that most donations are $20.
3. Donors can make their checks to you. You, in turn, will give the Museum a list of the donors so we can send them an official receipt for tax purposes.
4. Send an email to your family members, co-workers, neighbors and others. Here is a possible message, but you should create your own to match your personality:
Dear (Name): I am hoping to play in the Utah Golf Marathon on June 21 -- 54 holes of golfe in a single day! We go from 6:00am to 8:30pm. They call it "The Ultimate Challenge!" for golfers. The entry fee is $5 per hole, and is fully tax-deductible as a charitable contribution to the Crandall Historical Printing Museum. I am looking for sponsors. Could you sponsor me for a hole -- or two, or three or more? It's for a worthy cause, and it will be interesting to see if I can make it through all 54 holes. Make out your check to me, and I will make sure you get a receipt for the Crandall Historical Printing Museum.
5. Write a letter to those without email addresses. Be sure to send a stamped, self-addressed return envelope.
6. Make a sign to put on your desk or in a reception area:
I am playing in the 2011 Utah Golf Marathon -- 54 consecutive holes of Golf in a single day!
(Sponsored by the Crandall Historical Printing Museum)
You can help by donating $5 per hole (fully tax-deductible)
7. Print a small business card with a message, and give it to friends and acquaintances or business contacts.